In the wake of the purported opening of a new era in relations with Iran, the American people should not forget these hostages of a terrorist regime:
- Jason Rezaian, Washington Post journalist, recently “convicted”;
- Amir Hekmati, former U.S. Marine,
- Saeed Abedini, pastor and
- Robert Levinson, former FBI agent.
And, if the reports are true, within the last week or so,
- Siamak Namazi, a dual U.S.-Iranian citizen, who was snatched up while visiting relatives in Tehran for the apparent crime of … what?
Since the President is otherwise occupied, will someone find out if Josh Earnest has anything to say about this?
Here’s a postscript. Three of these individuals have been released. Siamak Namazi is, inexplicably, still detained in Iran; Robert Levinson is still unaccounted for. In return we released seven Iranians who were actually accused of real crimes. We’re glad some are back; we’re sorry that at least one American is still a hostage.